Somewhere between 1242 and 1246 the Moors took possession of this then small-fortified hamlet and placed it under the control of nearby Silves. The location was later formally declared a town. The town of Lagoa has since grown as an administrative town for the area that lived off in the past its abundant agricultural produce. On the outskirts of the town used to be an active co-operative for the owners of vineyards that are still produce a small quantity of full bodied red wine. This reduction has been seriously effected by the demise of vineyards over recent years as their owners have found a new "pot of gold" by selling their land as building plots. The parish church was inaugurated in 1814 but there is the older church, the Igreja de Misericórdia that dates from the middle of the 18th Century. Another building of interest is the Convento do São José which was built in 1713. It is now used by the local Council as a location for art exhibitions and has a small theatre for cultural events. In August of every year an important commercial and rural produce Fair named Fatacil is held in the town, exhibiting products from all over Portugal. The occasion provides an excuse for enjoyment and national bands and singers entertain the visitors late into the night. The nearby town of Estombar has a history dating further back to when the Moors occupied the Algarve. It was the home of the famous 11th Century Arab poet “Ibn Ammar”. Many local legends exist and there are reputed to be subterranean passages from near this town going inland for about 12 Kms. to the ancient Moorish capital of Silves. Near to Estombar is an area named Sítio das Fontes that has for centuries been a popular swimming spot due to two freshwater springs that provide a small lagoon prior to joining the Rio Arade. To the south of the Lagoa is the once small fishing village of Carvoeiro that today is an area of expensive villas, comfortable holiday apartments and golf courses. To the east is the
The tumulous city of yesterday is today a quiet market town surrounded by the largest orange growing area in Portugal. Cork is processed locally. North to the fertile valleys is an area of attractive forest covered hills leading to the mountains of Monchique. The dams of Arade and Foz are well worth visiting for the beauty of their natural setting.
The town and municipal area of Albufeira come under the jurisdiction of the district of Faro in the province called the Algarve, on the south coast of Portugal. It covers an area of approximately 140 km² with more than 30.000 resident inhabitants. We invite you to know a little of its history and to watch a promotional video of Albufeira. The place we know today as Albufeira is not just a “Capital of Tourism” in Portugal, It is also an area full of history, with vestiges of human occupation since the remote Neolithic and Bronze ages.