Sagres & Aljezur
Sagres the most south-western corner of the Algarve, Portugal
The village of Sagres in the district of Vila do Bispo is situated on Europe's most south-western corner near Cabo do São Vicente. It was this exposed location that made Sagres the starting point of numerous expeditions during past centuries. The age of the Portuguese Discoveries began back in the 15th century, initiated by Henry the Navigator.
Cabo de São Vicente (Cape St.Vincent) and the Ponta de Sagres together form the south-western corner of the European continent. The cape consists of a steep cliff of about 69 m with almost no vegetation.
The Fortaleza de Sagres (Fortress of Sagres), located south-west of Sagres on a small headland about 1 km in length, is a monument of national importance. After passing through the thick tunnel entrance, one sees a giant pebble circle , detected only in 1921, of unknown age and purpose. The circle with a diameter of 43m is interpreted as a compass rose (Rosa dos Ventos). Normally compass roses are divided into 32 segments, but strangely this one has 40 segments, so it could also have been a sundial. Most likely it dates back to the time of Henry the Navigator.
Reserva Biogenética de Sagres: as one of Southern Europe’s last remaining and most important stretches of wild, unspoilt coastline, benefiting from both a low level of human interference and a low population density, the area from Ponta de Sagres to Cape St. Vincent is a protected area filled with a wide biodiversity of different species and natural habitats, many of which are quite unique in the world.
The area around Sagres is quite inhospitable due to the constant strong winds blowing from the Atlantic Ocean. Nevertheless, this historical location attracts tourists from all over the world throughout the year.
Aljezur situated in the Costa Vicentina natural park on the Algarve’s west coast, Portugal.
Aljezur is a small market town with two parts divided by a fertile river valley. Its hilltop Moorish Castle offering nice views to the surrounding countryside dominates the old part. It was settled by the Moors in the 10th century and re-conquered in 1246.
Several spectacular, almost unspoiled beaches are located in the vicinity. You can easily reach Amoreira, Monte Clerigo and Arrifana from the village of Odeceixe, 18km north to Aljezur on the N120.
Visit the website of Turismo de Portugal to know more about Sagres: https://www.visitalgarve.pt/en/3298/sagres.aspx