Portugal is the third safest country in the world
The Global Peace Index is a ranking of the safest countries in the world. This report is published annually by the Institute for Economics and Peace. The report researches countries to determine which are the safest, while also ranking the most dangerous.
Based on these factors, a score is calculated for each of the 163 nations featured in the report. The lower the score, the higher the nation is ranked in terms of safety.
A total of 163 countries are featured in the report. There are 23 different indicators used to determine how safe or how dangerous a country is. These factors are broken into these categories:
- Ongoing International and Domestic Conflict
- Societal Safety and Security
- The factors used to compile this report include:
- Number of internal and external violent conflicts
- Level of distrust
- Political instability
- Potential for terrorist acts
- Number of homicides
- Military expenditures as a percentage of GDP
For further infomration click here